12xcupcakes or 1x9" cake top
1/3 cup butter (cold)
1 heaping cup of icing sugar (sifted)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
1 tbsp and 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp milk or heavy cream
1. In a mixer with a paddle attachment add in cold butter and beat till softened scraping down the sides of the bowl every couple of minutes.
2. Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl. While the mixer is on speed 1 slowly add the sifted cocoa and powdered sugar to butter till all of it has been added in.
3. Leave mixer on speed 1 then add vanilla and milk to mixing bowl, after a minute stop mixer and scrape down bowl sides.
4. Turn mixer onto speed 2 and beat until fluffy and smooth.
5. Do not over mix butter cream. Once butter cream is smooth you can add it into a piping bag with a star tip and pipe on top of the 12 cupcakes or using an off-set spatula add butter cream to the top of a 9" cake.